Skip To Main Content

Working for Wye - past, present and future

About Wye

Click on the blue heading bars below to see more information about each aspect of the Parish Council's work

Historical background

Fifteenth century door to the Latin School, Wye College, founded in 1447.

'Wye in Kent has a long and distinguished history: Mesolithic hunters camped by the River Stour, Neolithic farmers cleared the forest and Bronze-age warriors were buried on the Downs.

From being a Romano-British country estate on the road to Canterbury Wye became a royal residence of Kentish kings, and then grew into a regional centre with jurisdiction over a large part of Kent until 1066.

William the Conqueror gave the Royal Manor of Wye to Battle Abbey in 1067, and Domesday records that Wye was a thriving community. The mediaeval village, with its minster church, ancient grammar school, timbered houses and inns, is still very much in evidence.' Wye Historical Society

The history of Wye is shaped by its close proximity to Canterbury. The cathedral is only 12 miles away across the North Downs, as this illustrated 'one day pilgrimage' guide shows.


The civil parish of Wye with Hinxhill

Some key facts about the civil parish of Wye with Hinxhill today

Kent is a shire (non-metropolitan) county, so residents have three tiers of representation at the parish, borough, county level. (This is in addition to seats in Westminster and the European Parliament). Responsibilities for different services are divided between the three tiers.

The Parish Council owns over 100 plots on Churchfield and Beanfield allotments. Both of which are designated as statutory sites under the Allotments Acts. Plots are available for residents to let.

The Parish Council is the burial authority for Wye. As such, it has managed the new burial ground, adjacent to the churchyard since 1981, in partnership with the Parochial Church Council. The new burial ground is non-denominational. Contact the Burial Clerk here.