Skip To Main Content

Working for Wye - past, present and future

Wye Almshouses

Wye Almshouses

Wye Almshouse Charity

Located at the top of a grass bank, next to the Lady Joanna Thornhill Primary School, the Almshouses provide housing for elderly residents of Wye. The original structure was probably a hay barn and Sir Thomas Kempe (1517-1591) provided funds in 1562 for the continued use of the building as an almshouse and maintaining it 'only upon his charity zeal'.

Subsequently, some three hundred years ago, Lady Joanna Thornhill bequeathed land to the trustees of the almshouse to ensure the financial security necessary to provide for the care of six poor residents. This endowment continues to provide the charity with a regular income today.

In 1986, the trustees reviewed the accommodation which by then was becoming difficult to let. With the help of loans from The Housing Corporation the old building was gutted, re-roofed and re-built with separate living rooms, bedrooms and improved bathrooms and kitchens. To accommodate all the changes the six dwellings were reduced to five on two floors. All properties were built to modern standards of heating and insulation to ensure the comfort of the residents.

At the same time the trustees added three new, two person, one-bedroom almshouses in the large rear garden of the site.

Wye with Hinxhill Parish Council appoints three of the trustees to the charity.

Wye Almshouse Charity

Address
Mrs Sue Gower (Clerk)
Middlefield Cottage
Olantigh Road
Wye
TN25 5EP
Telephone
01233 812 370
Website
http://www.housingcare.org/housing-care/facility-info-84516-wye-almshouses-wye-england.aspx

Download vCard